MATTHEW WELTY (MANAGING PARTNER)
Matthew Welty was born and raised in Healdsburg, California. He began his career with a boutique firm specializing in real property litigation in Washington, D.C., where he represented some of the largest apartment building commercial landlords in the Mid-Atlantic. Since moving back to Sonoma County to start a family, Matt has expanded his legal expertise in the areas of large and complex property transactions, (which include wineries, vineyards, and real estate) corporate and business law.
Matt has vast experience in natural food industry business ventures and routinely advises nationally-sized natural food companies in structured finance, fundraising and contractual issues.
Matt is active in his community. He is a North-bay Business Journal Forty under 40 award winner; He serves as Vice President of the board of directors for Becoming Independent; and is the Dad's Club co-President for St. John's Catholic School. He received his Political Science degree at the University of California, Davis, and earned his Law Degree at the University of Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, where he studied under Justice Anthony M. Kennedy of the US Supreme Court at the University of Salzburg, Austria. He is licensed to practice in California, Maryland and the District of Columbia. Matt is also a licensed real estate broker in California.
Matt lives with his wife and three kids, all boys, and gets outside for all the clichè lawyer sports: golf, tennis, skiing and road biking.
- Wine Law (Purchase and Sale of Vineyards, Ranches, Brands, Facilities, Assets, etc..)
- Estate Planning (Trusts, Wills, Durable Power of Attorney, Advanced Healthcare Directives)
- Business Succession Planning (Succession planning for family-owned businesses)
- Business and Corporate Law (Formation of LLC’s, Corporations, Partnerships; Purchase and Sale of Businesses, Assets, Trademarks, Brands)
- Real Property Law (Land Use Planning; Easements; Conservation Easements; Transactions).
Over $100MM in Transactions.
- Represented Sellers in multiple sales of family ranches to Ferrari-Carano Winery.
- Represented Seller in sale of Sebastopol Hills Pinot Noir Vineyard.
- Represented Seller in sale Rancho Canada Golf Course, in Carmel, CA property to Trust For Public Land.
- Represented Fetzer Winery as Seller in sale of Five Rivers Winery (Paso Robles) to Trinchero Family Estates.
- Represented Purchaser in $10MM acquisition of family-owned ranch for purposes of a Corporate Campus.
- Represented investment group in acquisition of Taylor Maid Farms Coffee Company.
- Represented investment group in acquisition of Trail Coffee Company (Stockton, CA).
- Represented Seller for sale of High-End Salon business in Healdsburg.
- Represented Banshee Wines in strategic transaction with Foley Family Winery.
- Serves as General Counsel to New Barn, Inc.